By Dan Green
In the small town of Royston, Hertfordshire, there stands a stone that signifies the intersection of two straight roads orientated to the cardinal directions. This ‘Roi Stone’ or ‘Rose Stone’ has been moved a short distance to rectify hindering traffic, but what remains in the same place is the artificial cave below it, a circular beehive-shaped chamber some 26’ high, with a 17’ diameter, discovered accidently in 1742 by workmen who dug around the curious stone and discovered a shaft leading below into the chalk. It was more than half buried beneath soil, similar one might say to a time capsule, and when emptied revealed medieval carvings of the Knights Templar, who founded nearby Baldock.
Read the full story at http://www.ellisctaylor.com/dgroystoncave.html